Thursday, March 30, 2006

Episode II: Out of the Frying Pan and into the Toaster Oven

The following story is not so much a boozing adventure per se, but rather a framework for future adventures.

I grew up in a small town in the midwest, went to a private high school, and was basicly sheltered for the first part of my existance on the planet. Enter booze: Suddenly the world becomes a much more interesting place.

But the real party didn't start until after I graduated high school. I went to community college, and took some really meanigful classes like painting and golf, but found it hard to attend class most of the time because the weather was really nice that winter. So I continued to spin my wheels for a couple of years.

Now, Dave's Dad had been in the Marines during Vietnam, and was a war hero of sorts, so naturally Dave wanted to make his big career move to the Marines as well. He would always try to talk me into joining the Marines with him, but I didn't want to have anything to do with it. "Heeeeeeell no," I would say. "The last thing that I want to do was to join the military and have my ass get shot off in some foreign country for a cause I don't believe in or even care about." (Hey, that's pretty good reasoning for a punk ass kid now that I look back on it.)

But that didn't stop him from pestering me, and in a moment of weakness I agreed to go down to talk to the recruiter with him. And sign up I did. We were both going into the Marines and shipping out together! Buddies, pals, childhood friends - Oh the good times we'll have partying and kicking ass.

There was only one problem. Dave got held back from going to boot camp on the same day as me because of some administrative screw up. Great. Now I was going to boot camp by myself because my buddy, who had initailly talked me into the whole mess, had to stay back because some paper pusher didn't know his head from his ass. Dave shipped out a few weeks later, but ended up getting kicked out of the Marines anyway because he popped on the piss test. Fucker.

Oh well. More fun for me. Here's to ya Dave, cheers.

So for me, the Marines ended up being a launching platform to adventure and excitment. I've seen a lot of cool places that I probably never would have gotten to see, all for FREE, and all with a bunch of buddies that I made along the way. We're gonna visit a lot of cool places all around the world in my travels, as well as a few adventures outside of the military. Boozing adventures of course.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poo!

Hey you got a Blog! Keep up the good work! Dang you, Nurse B, Trish. Tiki BAr's become the Blog-O-Sphere!

10:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Boy, that Dave sounds like nothing but trouble. I can't believe you listened to a guy who got you drunk on 151 and Mad Dog!! Great story as always, Poo, can't wait to read what happens next!

8:41 AM  
Blogger johnny dollar said...

tag!

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home